The Capital Area Blues Society
2018 Blues Brawl Rules and Regulations
The National Competition
The 2019 International Blues Challenge will be the 35th year of Blues musicians from around the world competing for cash, prizes and industry recognition. The Blues Foundation will present the 35th International Blues Challenge January 22-26, 2019
in Memphis Tennessee. The world’s largest gathering of Blues acts represents an international search by the Blues Foundation and its affiliated organizations for the Blues Band and Solo/Duo Blues Act ready to take their act to the international stage. National winners receive cool
stuff and LOTS of attention: studio time, free CD manufacturing, prime spots in Festivals and clubs around the country. See a complete listing of national prizes, rules and additional information at the National Blues Foundation website: www.blues.org/ibc
The Capital Area Blues Society Competition
The 2018 Blues Brawl takes place on Sunday, May 20, 2018,
4 pm to 8 pm, at the Green Door Blues Bar and Grill, 2005 E. Michigan Avenue, Lansing, Michigan, 517.482.6376, <a>www.greendoorlive.com
</a>. One band, and one solo / duo act will be named winners and represent CABS at the 2019 International Blues Challenge in Memphis.
As a Blues Foundation affiliate, the Capital Area Blues Society (CABS) follows the national format for our local competition to select our representative.
Eligibility and Rules
1. Acts must have at least one band member who lives in Ingham, Eaton, Clinton, Ionia, Barry, Calhoun, Jackson, Washtenaw, Livingston, Genesee, Saginaw, Gratiot, Montcalm, Kent or Shiawassee counties; or a band member that lives in a county that shares a border with those counties.
2. For each annual competition, winners from the previous year are ineligible to enter.
3. Bands are defined as having 3 or more musicians; solo/duo acts are defined as one or two musicians with vocalists counted as musicians in all categories.
4. An individual may not compete in more than one act in any capacity.
5. No act may include a member of the board of any Blues Foundation affiliated blues society.
CABS will notify all acts of selection and order of performance after the APRIL 30, 2018 deadline to enter. Performance time slots will be selected randomly. ·
All selected acts must be present and registered at the venue no later than 60 minutes before their scheduled start time. ·
All selected acts will receive 10 minutes set-up time and 20 minutes playing time to showcase their talents. ·
Please send or bring your set list and indicate whether a song is an original or a cover.
Selected Acts agree that if they win, they will:
1. Appear at ONE CABS-sponsored fundraiser in the calendar year following the Brawl. This will most likely be on a Sunday in 2018 or 2019.
2. Represent CABS at the 2019 International Blues Challenge! January 22-26, 2019 – in Memphis, Tennessee. Be sure that you WILL and ARE ABLE to attend (think of the $$ required) the 2019 International Blues Challenge from January 22-26, 2019 in Memphis Tennessee. DON’T APPLY IF YOU CANNOT GO TO MEMPHIS!!
Criteria for Judgment: CABS will use the IBC scoring parameters:
1. Blues Content – play the blues and leave Mustang Sally at home.
2. Instrumental Talent – the act’s instrumental skills.
3. Vocal Talent – singing/vocalizing abilities and talents.
4. Originality – original work is strongly encouraged!
5. Stage Presence/Showmanship – how marketable are you? Professional? Get inspired and give us all ya’ got!
All 2018 Band and Solo/Duo Participants receive a complimentary meal voucher for each Member, redeemable on the day of the Brawl (does not include alcohol).
2018 Blues Brawl WINNERS (One Band and One Solo/Duo) receive: ·
The title of 2018 Blues Brawl Winner · Selection as CABS representative to the 2019 International Blues Challenge. ·
Paid performance slot at the 2018 MICA – Michigan Blues Festival, Sept 21 or 22, 2018 ·
Financial support: Band: $1000 total.* · Solo/Duo: $400 total.*
*To be used exclusively for IBC travel expenses, paid immediately prior to the IBC trip to Memphis.
Note: It is estimated that the cost of attending the IBC in Memphis can be as much as $3000, depending on the number of band members and if you fly or drive. Please consider that your act will need to budget its own funds to attend should you win.
Applications – Due by APRIL 30, 2018 :
1. Fill out the application – make sure we can find you! Application is on our Facebook page and website capitalareablues.org
2. Include a band bio and one digital photo. Your application is not complete without it. Press kits and additional digital photos also welcome.
3. Digitally sign, date and send the form by 5:00 pm, APRIL 30, 2018 . Your actual signature will be collected on the form at the Brawl venue before your performance.
CABS will notify all bands of selection and order of performance after APRIL 30, 2018.
If you have any questions regarding the application, regulations, or event, contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Alternate contact is Smitty Smith at 517-927-2100.