2019 CABS Blues Brawl Info Page
Application, Rules, Info below the image
You have two options to enter the CABS Blues Brawl:
1) Fill in the on line preliminary application form below. Then we will send you a complete application and rules / info document. NOTE: the deadline for preliminary applications is April 26, 2019. Complete applications must be received by May 1st, irregardless of when you submit a preliminary application.
2) If you don’t want to wait for us to send you the complete application, you can click the image (2019 Application) below the on line preliminary application form, which will take you to our Facebook Page, Notes Section, where you can copy and paste the complete application, print it, and fill it in.
3) Then, email the completed application to email@example.com
Be sure to read the rules near the bottom of this page or on our Facebook Page.
CABS 2018 BLUES BRAWL PRELIMINARY ON LINE APPLICATION
The Capital Area Blues Society 2019 Blues Brawl Rules & Details
The National Competition The 2020 International Blues Challenge will be the 36th year of Blues musicians from around the world competing for cash, prizes and industry recognition. The Blues Foundation will present the 36th International Blues Challenge January 28 – Feb 1, 2020 in Memphis Tennessee. The world’s largest gathering of Blues acts represents an international search by the Blues Foundation and its affiliated organizations for the Blues Band and Solo/Duo Blues Act ready to take their act to the international stage. National winners receive cool stuff and LOTS of attention: studio time, free CD manufacturing, prime spots in Festivals and clubs around the country. See a complete listing of national prizes, rules and additional information at the National Blues Foundation website: www.blues.org/ibc
The Capital Area Blues Society Competition The 2019 CABS Blues Brawl takes place on Sunday, May 19, 2019, 4 pm to 8 pm, at the Green Door Blues Bar and Grill, 2005 E. Michigan Avenue, Lansing, Michigan, 517.482.6376, www.greendoorlive.com. One band, and one solo / duo act will be named winners and represent CABS and Mid Michigan at the 2020 International Blues Challenge in Memphis. As a Blues Foundation affiliate, the Capital Area Blues Society (CABS) follows the national format for our local competition to select our representative.
Eligibility and Rules
- Acts must have at least one band member who lives in Ingham, Eaton, Clinton, Ionia, Barry, Calhoun, Jackson, Washtenaw, Livingston, Genesee, Saginaw, Gratiot, Montcalm, Kent or Shiawassee counties.
- For each annual competition, winners from the previous year are ineligible to enter. 3. Bands are defined as having 3 or more musicians; solo/duo acts are defined as one or two musicians with vocalists counted as musicians in all categories. 4. An individual may not compete in more than one act in any capacity. 5. No act may include a member of the board of any Blues Foundation affiliated blues society.
Selected Entrants: CABS will notify all acts of selection and order of performance after the May 1, 2019 deadline to enter. Performance time slots will be selected randomly. · All selected acts must be a member of CABS prior to competition. Join CABS at ~ www.capitalareablues.org · All selected acts must be present and registered at the venue no later than 60 minutes before their scheduled start time. · All selected acts will receive 10 minutes set-up time and 20 minutes playing time to showcase their talents. · Please send or bring your set list and indicate whether a song is an original or a cover.
Selected Acts agree that if they win, they will:
- Appear at ONE CABS-sponsored fundraiser in the calendar year following the Brawl. This will most likely be on a Sunday in Jan 2020, just before the IBC.
- Represent CABS at the 2019 International Blues Challenge! January 28 – Feb 1, 2020 – in Memphis, Tennessee.
Be sure that you WILL and ARE ABLE to attend (think of the $$ required) the 2019 International Blues Challenge from January 28 – Feb 1, 2020 in Memphis Tennessee. DON’T APPLY IF YOU CAN NOT COMMIT TO THE TIME, OR CAN NOT AFFORD TO GO TO MEMPHIS!!
Criteria for Judging: CABS will use the IBC scoring parameters:
- Blues Content – play the blues and leave Mustang Sally at home.
- Instrumental Talent – the act’s instrumental skills.
- Vocal Talent – singing/vocalizing abilities and talents.
- Originality – original work is strongly encouraged!
- Stage Presence/Showmanship – how marketable are you? Professional? Get inspired and give us all ya’ got!
All 2019 Band and Solo/Duo Participants receive: · A complimentary meal voucher for each Member (max 6), redeemable on the day of the Brawl (does not include alcohol).
2019 CABS Blues Brawl WINNERS (One Band and One Solo/Duo) receive: ·
The title of 2019 CABS Blues Brawl Winner ·
Selection as CABS representative to the 2020 International Blues Challenge. ·
Paid performance slot at the 2019 MICA – Michigan Blues Festival, Sept 20 or 21, 2019 · Band: $1000 donation.* ·
Solo/Duo: $400 donation.*
*To be used exclusively for IBC travel expenses, paid immediately prior to the IBC trip to Memphis.
Note: It is estimated that the cost of attending the IBC in Memphis can be as much as $3000, depending on the number of band members and if you fly or drive. Please consider that your act will need to budget its own time and funds to attend should you win.
Applications – Due by MAY 1, 2019 :
- Fill out the application – make sure we can find you! Application is on our Facebook page and website http://www.capitalareablues.org/home/blues-brawl-info-and-submission/
- Include a band bio and one digital photo. Your application is not complete without it. Press kits and additional digital photos also welcome.
- Digitally sign, date and send the form by 5:00 pm, MAY 1, 2019 . Your actual signature will be collected on the form at the Brawl venue before your performance.
CABS will notify all bands of selection and order of performance shortly after May 1, 2019.
If you have any questions regarding the application, regulations, or event, contact Smitty via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Alternate contact is Denise Lynch at 517-927-0544.